Recently, I participated in a roundtable / panel program hosted by AABE (American Association of Blacks in Energy) Atlanta, Chapter. The topic of discussion was closely related to career and self development along the lines of P.I.E.: Performance, Image and Exposure. I talked about the "E" portion of Exposure and how professionals can use business networking to elevate their status both inside and outside of their respective organizations.
Here are a few of my tips:
1. Make networking a priority.
2. Volunteer and actively look for opportunities.
3. Seek out opportunities for leadership and development.
4. Create a personal board of directors, cabinet or support system.
5. Search for mentorship or sponsorship, if necessary.
Chi Chi Okezie blogs as the Champion Networker, giving her keen insights on proper networking practices.